Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Best Students Get The Hardest Tests

After an intense 7 hour study session, I thought it was time to catch up on some of Oprah's Life Classes, which I am sad to admit, I have fallen behind in class. 

As I was reading through some of last weeks lessons and watching a couple of the videos, I came across one of my favorite "Aha" moments that Oprah said in a past show while discussing the power of forgiveness. 

For those of you that are unfamiliar with my hero Oprah, an "Aha" moment is a moment of clarity; the aha moment is a defining moment where you gain real wisdom - wisdom you can use to change your life.

O said:

"Forgiveness is giving up the hope that the past can be any different. It is accepting that it has happened to you. It is not accepting that it was ok for it to happen."

"Forgiving is giving up the hope, not holding on that it could have been any other way than it actually was. It is giving up the hope that the past could be any different." 

Oprah revisited this "Aha" moment in yesterday's life class with one of Oprah's inspirational speakers, Iyanla Vanzant. 

A man called in and wanted to know the secret to get past his anger. He confessed that he could not let go of the anger he had because he was forced to become an adult when he was a child and had no one to take care of him.

Oprah then asked him: "What is it served for you to keep having that be your story?"

The man answered, "I think I use it as a safety net sometimes for my failures." Aha.

Iyanla Vanzant then told the man three things:

1) She first asked if anyone has told the man they loved him today? He said no. She then told him she loved him.

2) Next, she told him he didn't do anything wrong.

3) Lastly, she assured him that the Best Students Get The Hardest Tests...And when God has something for you to do, he is going to test you to make sure you are ready... So don't punk out.

2 comments:

Thank you for your comment! Dylan and I love to hear what you think! Sincerely, Xtina