Monday, September 19, 2011

The Colombians

Per my guest blog on NicoleMarieWho's "Cousin's Corner", you may have read that my existence began when "my family migrated here by wagon from the depths of Colombia in the late 1970's" and "my strong, brave father was the first to come". 

"Exhibit 1"


Although some of the family was unable to make the "dangerous journey to the United States", we all remain very close. 

In order to stay close while having so much distance between us, we make sure to include the "Colombian's" in all of our U.S. traditions. 

One of which is the following: We have a tendency to put one another on the spot by "throwing them under the bus" in front of everyone at any given time just to get a laugh from everyone else at their expense.

A couple of years ago, during a family trip to Colombia, we tried this evil tradition on my cousins: With no warning, we made them sing for us in front of about 25 people, most of which they did not know.

Usually when this happens to me, my sister tells everyone that I have an amazing, beautiful, angelic like voice and politely asks me to sing for everyone. I then proceed to sing with my best vocals the only song I know by heart: The opening song to Beauty and The Beast.

At the exact moment that I open my mouth and let out some rendition of my not so "amazing, beautiful, angelic like voice", everyone laughs (my sister laughing the hardest of course) and I continue so that everyone can continue to laugh. It's weird. I know. But we do it. 

When we tried to pull this stunt with my cousins, they did not quite get the same reaction as I did. 

No one was laughing and everyone was in heaven listening as my cousins sang together with their amazing, beautiful, angelic like voices.

"Exhibit 2"


Moral of the story: Be careful who you try to prank. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Dylan and I love to hear what you think! Sincerely, Xtina