Tuesday, September 20, 2011

You Can Take the Bar Before You Graduate Law School??

Well not quite.

But, one of the 134,245,896,234 hoops that you must jump through to start practicing law is to take and pass the M.P.R.E. (Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination). The M.P.R.E. is a 60-question, two-hour-and-five-minute, multiple-choice examination administered three times each year.

During my second year I discovered that I can take the M.P.R.E while attending Law School.

This is how it works: California makes you jump through a bunch of different hoops to get this little card, which is called a "bar card". 

This "card" opens a world of opportunities, such as the following: money, access to information, food for Dylan, power, justice, freedom and so on.

The purpose of the M.P.R.E. is to move you one step closer to obtaining that "bar card" and, more specifically, to measure the test taker's knowledge and understanding of the established standards related to a lawyer's professional conduct. If you did not find my rendition helpful of what the M.P.R.E. is, CLICK HERE for more information.

To all my fellow law students, I took the M.P.R.E.'s last year- If you need some helpful hints/ links, LISTEN UP:

1. Register to take the exam HERE.

2. For a list of all the test dates and application deadlines, go HERE

3. For applications received on or before the regular receipt deadline, the fee for the MPRE is $63. For those who apply after the regular receipt deadline but before the late receipt deadline, the fee is $126. 

2. After you register, it's time to study! Read/study all of the ethical standards promulgated under the ABA codes of Professional Responsibility, Model Rules and Judicial Conduct. Do not forget to read/study the notes under the rules!

3. Take ALL of the practice exams. The National Conference of Bar Examiners provides a link to all of the past M.P.R.E. Exams and Answers. I love free study materials. FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR PAST M.P.R.E. EXAMS.

4. I like Flemmings. I listened to Flemmings CD's in my car to and from my house. Although I would not solely rely on Flemmings without putting in all of the above work, it was very helpful listening to his test taking tips and how to apply everything I just learned. I bought Flemmings off of Amazon HERE. Or you can buy the material direct from the Flemmings' Website HERE.

I hope this helps! Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Dylan and I love to hear what you think! Sincerely, Xtina