Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Truffle Shuffle

Growing up with an older sister, I had no say, voice, opinion in anything that we did or talked about.

All of my childhood memories are filed with her likes, dislikes and hobbies that I begged her to let me in on. 

Out of all the things she exposed me to, my sister thankfully never corrupted me with the scary movie of Goonies.  

However, all of the other little turps in my elementary school apparently were very familiar with the movie and all of the characters.  

My "friends" in school encouraged me daily to do the "truffle shuffle". It is no secret that I may have been a tad overweight when I was a weeee little lad.  

Thinking that my friends wanted me to do some sort of latin dance, I laughed with them and always performed my best impression of a "shuffle" as they fell over laughing and pointing at me. 

It was not until a couple of years ago that I realized why my elementary school "friends" always thought it was so funny when I did the "shuffle". 

To my horror, my very best friend, Leah, introduced me to the stupid film Goonies not knowing of my questionable past. 

As I walked into the room that was playing the movie, my head shot up as soon as I heard a little kid yell, "Do the Truffle Shuffle!" 

My first reaction was a feeling of deja vu.  I thought to myself... no.... My "friends" were not calling me Chunk from the Goonies. And sadly, very soon after, the reality of the situation set in:

I was bullied, made fun of and picked on in elementary school.  

The good news is, I had no idea.

"Exhibit A"
(Chunk and the Truffle Shuffle)


"Exhibit B"
(Me)


Moral of the story: Listen to your mom when she tells you that you are the most beautiful person in the whole school... even when she knows and the rest of the world knows that you look like Chunk from the Goonies.

2 comments:

  1. Um, this was absolutely hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Too funny. I know how you feel. Having an older brother and an older sister, I could not have my 'own' musical taste. I had to like Led Zeppelin to get in good with my brother and Prince (circa Purle Rain) for my sister to think I was cool.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Dylan and I love to hear what you think! Sincerely, Xtina