Saturday, September 24, 2011

Word.

Dear Men:

This letter is in response to the last 20-something years of my life, in which you have placed an unwarranted burden of fear and weight upon my shoulders.

I am officially tired. I am tired of the responsibility of what you call a "healthy fear" you have forced me to accept against my will.

I understand that my constant fear is slightly excessive, however, we need to talk. (To Read About My Constant Fear: Please Click Here)

It is unfair that every time I walk to my car I am terrified at the thought of what is waiting for me in the parking garage.

It is exhausting trying to think ahead of every scenario your brothers, fathers, sons and uncles could come up with in executing their ultimate plan of attack against me.

It is frustrating getting dressed in the morning and having to wear something that I believe won't "ask for it" as you men have advised me to do to better insure my safety.

It is unhealthy that I cannot get a full nights rest for fear that one of your brothers, fathers, sons or uncles will break into my home while I sleep.

When did it become my responsibility to be safe? When did the responsibility shift from the wrongdoer to the victim? When did we as women accept this responsibility? I definitely didn't sign up for this.

But most importantly, when does the responsibility of keeping me safe become yours? Isn't that taught in "Man Class 101: How to keep your women safe"?

I think that class should be audited because I believe your professor may have lied to you. 

I would like to set the record straight: No matter what I do, if  your brothers, fathers, sons and uncles decide one day that they are going to attack me, they will succeed, regardless of where I am, what I am wearing and what I look like.  

Rape has no preference. You can be tall, short, skinny, fat, clothed, unclothed, blonde, red, green, brown, loud, shy, submissive, young, old, etc. Rape has no preference

When are you going to hold your brothers, fathers, sons and uncles accountable instead of placing this unrealistic burden on me?

When does the responsibility become yours?

There is only so much my sister and I could do to stop living in fear; At some point we need the help of our brothers. Don't you believe that you are a better match for your own brother, father, son and uncle than I anyways?

As much as I appreciate their annoying cat calls as I frantically walk from my car to my school, when are you going to humanize me to your brothers, fathers, sons and uncles when they describe me as an object?

Although I understand it is a lot easier to put down, hurt, degrade, demean and hit an object, I am tired of having to differentiate myself from the object that you ultimately helped them create, despite the fact that, as you say, "it is all in good fun".

The fear that has been instilled in me is not fun.

To better illustrate how placing the burden of being safe on me is unfair, exhausting, frustrating and unhealthy, please see the following Rape analogy,, which I borrowed from the fabulous writer, Ms. Rebel Debutante:

"Exhibit A"




































 Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Dylan and I love to hear what you think! Sincerely, Xtina